Friday, June 29, 2007

One of my first memories is the second Halifax explosion. I was "goin' pottie" at the time, my mother and a friend who boarded with us were in the kitchen. Every window on the north and east sides of our house broke as the Bedford Naval magazine blew up. My mother had been
in the 1917 explosion and had lost three siblings when their house collapsed. She grabbed me off the toilet, with shit running down my leg and ran for the backyard woods. We were evacuated overnight to Timberlea, I believe to an air force site that is today the Timberlea legion. I have vague memories of being on the floor , on my back, looking up at the high ceilings in the building and many, many people around. All the small panes of glass in our front porch were replaced with large windows, the french doors(all glass) were never replaced between the living and dining room, and we had a fireplace that was so damaged,it could never be used again.

No comments: