Monday, July 2, 2007

I served in the army, navy, and air force. I did six years in the Army as a paratrooper in the medical corps, serving with the Van Doos in Valcartier, Que. Eight years in the Navy as naval aircrew, on the Bonaventure and Annapolis, flying in Trackers and Sea Kings. Then six years in the Air Reserve doing the fisheries patrols in Trackers. I was also twenty -four years a jail guard. I also sold real estate, and life insurance. I was a Tourist Development Officer for the Province of Nova Scotia, a radar operator on the DEW line, a hospital orderly, a mature student at MSV and Dal, took a run at politics, I ran for Alderman in Hfx, in my teen years I workedon the railroad,shovelling snow, delivered drugs from various pharmacys in Hfx, worked at the Minut-man auto wash, corner of Robie and Russel, worked at Seven-up on Robie street, delivered the Chronicle -Herald, painted houses,unloaded box-cars at the old sugar refinery.

50 years ago at the Minit-Man Auto Wash we washed more than a hundred cars a day.

There was a little ditty on the wall:

Breathes there the man with soul so dead
Who never to himself hath said,
This is my own , the family car
All covered with dust, and dirt and tar,
If I should wash this car myself,
I shall become as rare,
As the man who ,cuts his own hair!

No comments: