Thursday, August 16, 2007

ODE TO OWLS (to the tune of "Sweet Betsy from Pike)

{written by an unknown Owl from 420 Air Reserve Squadron , Shearwater circa 1980}

Oh come all you people and listen to me,
I'll tell you a tale of the Owls and the sea,
A story of cunning, of daring, and do,
Of recruiting our aircrew direct from the zoo.

Have a go, up your glass,
And we'll all keep on flyin' as long as there's gas.

The Tracker's the beauty, we fly o'er the og.
From Fundy to Funk, through the cruddy ol' fog,
The Killick is cozy, the gals are a wish,
But it's time to get back to defending the fish.

Chorus

The 420 Owls are snowy they say,
We hunt in the moonlight, and sleep all the day,
Our cousins are horny, some live in the barn,
But we all go to work at the animal farm.

Chorus

We fought the Watusi like no one else could,
"Pugnamus finitum", as everyone should,
We battled for days, then their strength did abate,
It reportedly was something fowl that they ate.

Chorus

Us 420 phlyers , we never shall die,
We'll just putt around, in the ruddy ol' sky,
Now listen real careful and then you'll hear a hoot,
{It was just the decompression in my poopy suit.}

Chorus

The CO went flying a week-end ago,
From sun-up to sun-down, a ripping good show,
The co-pilot plotted, until he was green,
You should hear the remarks, re: that flying machine.

Chorus

Our groundcrew aren't greasy, like regular blokes,
They fix 'em in elegant tailor-made coats,
For POL, or for pushing, inspections or starts,
Over-owls are supplied to protect all their Parts..


Have a go, up your glass,
And we'll all keep on flyin', as long as there's gas.


The neat thing about being in the reserve armed forces in Canada is that you can quit anytime you want, just stop going, that's it!

In 420 Air Reserve Squadron we all had business cards with name rank and serial number, along with the quotation " We can do anything the regular force can do, if we feel like it!"



The RING-A-DANG-DOO (Ode to St.John's)

One dark night on Duckworth street
A pretty newfy maid I had a chance to meet,
She said Hello and How do you do?
How'd ya like a crack at me Ring-a-dang-doo?

Chorus
A Ring-a-dang-doo, and what is that?
It's round and furry, like a pussy cat,
Round and furry and slippery too,
That's what I calls me Ring-a-dang-doo!

She took me home into her cellar
treated me like a real fine feller,
Gave me wine and whiskey too,
and gave me a crack at her Ring-a-dang doo!


Chorus


I woke up in her cellar, it was half past ten,
Jesus, I'd missed a patrol again,
Thought for a while, what to do,
Decided on another go at the Ring-a-dang doo!

Chorus

My crew commander was very trite,
Not too pleased, I'd missed another flight,
Confined me to barracks and fined me too,
And that's why I calls him a Ring-a-dang-doo!


Chorus
A Ring-a-dang-do, and what is that ............

No comments: